Marquette University High School Digital Archive
Marquette University High School was established in 1857 as St. Aloysius Academy. Since that time, Marquette University High School has changed its name to St. Galls Academy, helped to found Marquette College, and split Marquette College into Marquette University and Marquette University High School in 1907. As a separate institution, Marquette University High School has become a staple in the Near West Side whether working with other institutions or pursuing their own interactions within the community.
Marquette University High School moved locations in 1922 to their current address at 3401 W. Wisconsin Avenue. When Marquette University High School became its own separate institution in 1922, there were roughly 300 students which has grown to over a thousand students in recent years. The race proportions over the course of the school's history have also changed dramatically to 28% non-white students in the 2017-2018 school year from an initially all white high school.
Key features of Marquette University High School's interactions with the Near West Side community are the Key Club, Senior Shared Life program, inter-racial interactions, and partnership projects.
Marquette University High School's Key Club started in 1968 with an ongoing tradition of participating in events that help and support the community. The Senior Shared Life program consists of two weeks in which every senior at Marquette University High School participates in community service activities. This program, which began in 1972, has consistently left a legacy of strengthening Marquette University High School's ties to the community. Founded in 1963, Marquette Organization for Racial Equality (MORE) worked to pursue racial equality for the entire community both inside Marquette University High School and in the Near West Side. There have been additional student-led initiatives to improve the community, including tutoring and volunteering at events throughout the neighborhood. Beyond these student-centered activities, Marquette University High School has engaged in Partnership projects, such as renovating a house in Merrill Park and helping to build a playground at St. Rose Catholic Urban Academy. The nature of these interactions throughout MUHS's relationship with the Near West Side have varied, but MUHS nonetheless continues to work towards a more consistent and meaningful connection with the Near West Side.
Although the involvement of the community has been somewhat sporadic over the long span during which Marquette University High School has resided in the Near West Side, the efforts of MUHS students and faculty in the 1960s to become more active in their community established a legacy of commitment to the Near West Side that has ultimately worked to strengthen the community.
Since its beginning as Aloysius Academy in 1857, Marquette University High School has been involved and connect to the Near West Side whether alone, in partnership, or with individual student initiatives.